"SOAR ADVENTURES AIMS TO EMPOWER YOUNG PEOPLE TO TURN THEIR LIFE AROUND AND LIVE WITH PURPOSE, HOPE AND DIGNITY."
SOAR Adventures, an initiative of Scripture Union Victoria, is a national adventure based experiential learning program empowering young people in Schools.
- Early intervention Youth programs
- Commercial training and team building
- Outdoor Education guided tours - schools and commercial
The practical adventure based approach presents unique physical and emotional challenges throughout the program, coaching young people toward peak experiences of accomplishment and personal achievement. This process releases people to approach life, its successes and its challenges with confidence and hope.
SOAR Adventures aims to:
Ø Equip young people with vital skills to overcome challenges in their lives with steadfast confidence and dignity.
Ø Coach young people to make positive decisions that will benefit themselves and others in the future.
Ø Inspire young people to set personal goals; to discover their deepest passions, hopes and dreams.
Ø Enhance young people’s ability to dramatically impact and influence the people around them.
Ø Empower young people to change the community they live in.
The program has been developed as a response to the growing need to work with young people who are struggling with both environmental and personal factors. The long term approach of the program, and the holistic development that is sought throughout (personal, relational and vocational development).
Young people who become more positive and confident through the program will have a positive multiplication effecton the people that they come in contact with; including their families, peers and community.
“A community supported initiative!”
Marcus’ Amazing Story – SOAR Adventures Graduate
- "In the middle of last year, 10 students were chosen to be a part of the SOAR Adventures program. When I first was chosen, I was lacking confidence and had a very low view of myself. I had been bullied a lot during primary school and for many years thought I had nothing to offer. When the program started, I was determined to face the challenges to build my resilience, have a voice in the group and fight hard to get good marks at school so I can be a Forensic Scientist. In a SOAR session earlier this term, I was over the moon that I led our group in a teamwork challenge. I was able to lead with confidence, and for the first time I felt I had something to offer other people. They listened to me and encouraged me. We had a chance to celebrate our success at the end of the challenge. I now feel like I AM SOMEBODY!"
- “There are a growing number of young people who are disconnected and disengaged with traditional school practice, and if they are not re-engaged they are at risk of falling through the cracks and dropping out of society”
- Noel Claridge, Principal, Eaglehawk Secondary College.
- “Due to the high increase in single parent families; boys are left much to their own devices. They are often left with no male role models and therefore have no sense of belonging or connectedness. This in turn leads to greater risk taking behaviour for young males who feel they have no hope or future. I believe SOAR is a program that can bring life changing direction and hope.”
- School Chaplain.
- “There has never been a greater need for a program like SOAR Adventures than now. Teaching staff are constantly challenged by the needs of these young boys and without such a program I can’t see much of a hope for some of these boys”
- Hayden Price, Chaplain/Youth Worker, Swan Hill College.
- SOAR Adventures graduate
- “SOAR has totally changed my life for the better!"